- Total: 45 min
- Active: 20 min
- Yield:Makes 12 biscuits
Try this cooking class now
Try this cooking class nowWatch Class
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Place 10 tablespoons of the vegan butter in a small bowl, then freeze until solid, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, scallions, baking powder, salt, baking soda and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add the frozen vegan butter, then use a pastry cutter or fork to mix in the butter until only even, pea-size pieces remain. Gently stir in the almond milk and lemon juice to make a loose, shaggy dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface that’s lightly dusted with flour, then pat into a 7-inch square that’s about 3/4-inch thick. Fold in half from left to right, like a book, then fold in half again from top to bottom, so it’s now 1/4 of the original size. Pat the dough again into a 7-inch square.
- Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut the dough into 12 even rectangular pieces, then transfer to the prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons vegan butter in a small microwave-safe bowl on high, 30 to 60 seconds, then brush onto the top of each piece with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with more pepper. Bake until the biscuits are puffed and lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
When measuring flour, we spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off excess. (Scooping directly from the bag compacts the flour, resulting in dry baked goods.)
Source: Read Full Article