- Prep 35 min
- Total1 hr10 min
Homemade spinach and mushroom empanadas make mealtime fun and easy. These deliciously cheesy spinach and mushroom empanadas get a hint of spiciness from a chili powder seasoning and pepper Jack cheese. Fill pieces of Pillsbury™ Pie Crust with a tasty combination of sliced baby bella mushrooms, chopped onion, garlic and spinach to make this simple recipe. Add your own touch to this quick-prep dish by serving your spinach and mushroom empanadas with yummy toppings, like sour cream and salsa.
tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4cups sliced baby bella mushrooms (from 8-oz package)
- 1/4cup chopped onion
- 1tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 1package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained well and squeezed dry
- 1box refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (4 oz)
- 1Heat oven to 425°F. Line large cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper.
- 2In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are browned. Stir in spinach until mixed well; remove from heat. Cool 15 minutes.
- 3On lightly floured surface, unroll 1 pie crust. Roll to 14-inch circle. Cut out four 6-inch circles. Repeat with remaining pie crust. Place 1 tablespoon cheese on half of each round; spoon generous 2 tablespoons filling on top of cheese, leaving 1/2-inch border near edges. Top with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- 4Brush edges of dough round lightly with water. Carefully fold dough over filling; press edges firmly with fork to seal. Place on cookie sheet. Poke tops of each empanada with fork 3 times to vent.
- 5Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until golden brown and filling is hot.
- Try serving these spinach and mushroom empanadas with your favorite salsa on the side. Or, serve with an easy seasoned sour cream by stirring 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce into 1/4 cup sour cream.
- Be sure to roll the 14-inch pie dough circle to even thickness to avoid any thin areas in your cutouts. We like to line our cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper to catch any cheese that may ooze out during baking. It helps with cleanup, too!
- In place of chili powder, swap 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 teaspoon ground coriander.
- For best results, it’s important to squeeze any excess liquid from thawed spinach, to avoid unnecessary moisture in the filling of your spinach mushroom empanadas.
- Calories from Fat
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Trans Fat
- Dietary Fiber
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Serving Size: 2 Empanadas
% Daily Value
% Daily Value*:
Source: Read Full Article