Active time: 15 min. Total time: 20 min.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: about 2 cups)
The best salads are the ones that have a lot going on, and our Lentil Salad With Fried Halloumi definitely fits the bill. Crunchy, kale joins forces with salty fried cheese, sweet heirloom tomatoes, and hearty lentils round out this salad so well it feels like a full meal. Black and green lentils hold their shape better than the red and yellow variety, so we recommend using those. If you can’t find halloumi, provolone also fries well. This salad tastes even better the next day, when the flavors have had more time to meld together. Serve it with sliced chicken to make it even heartier.
- 8 cups stemmed and thinly sliced (about 1/4-in.) Lacinato kale (from 2 bunches)
- 1/4cup, plus 3 Tbsp. neutral oil (such as grapeseed oil), divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1garlic clove, minced (about 1 1/2 tsp.)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1large (10 oz.) heirloom tomato, cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1(8.8-oz.) pkg. halloumi cheese, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 2 cups cooked black or green lentils
How to Make It
Place kale, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a large bowl. Using your hands, massage kale until evenly coated with oil and slightly wilted, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high. Add coriander seeds, and toast, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and slightly darker in color, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer seeds to a cutting board. Using a mortar and pestle or the bottom of a bowl, lightly crush seeds.
Add crushed coriander seeds, red wine vinegar, garlic, pepper, 1/4 cup of the oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to a medium bowl, and whisk together. Add tomatoes, and toss to coat in dressing; set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over high. Add halloumi, and cook, turning once, until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer slices to a plate, and let stand until cool enough to handle, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Add halloumi, lentils, and tomatoes with vinaigrette to large bowl with kale; toss to combine.
Source: Read Full Article