Growing up we had a restaurant called Shoneys everywhere. Home of the big boy. They served this amazing strawberry pie. It is not only delicious and easy, but oh so pretty. It is hard to find a Shoneys around here anymore but this pie takes me back to pure happiness ?
- 1-9 inch pie crust. I make deep dish
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Strawberry Jello gelatin powder * see notes *
- You can use regular pie crust, make your own, deep or shallow
- This pie is sweet. If you prefer, use sugar free Jello gelatin
- For the deep dish i used almost 2 pints of berries
- It depends on size and how you slice them
Pre bake your pie crust @350 until just lightly browned.
Slice your strawberries as thick or thin as you like. Pat dry.
Fill your pie crust with sliced berries as evenly as you can. I try to make come up side of crust.
In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and Jello powder.
Add the water and whisk to combine.
On medium heat, bring to a boil. Stir constantly.
When mixture comes to a full boil, remove from heat.
Take your hot mixture and sit pan in a bowl of ice water to cool down. This will thicken quick.
When mixture thickens but still pourable, pour carefully over berries filling nooks and crannies.
Lightly tap on counter to eliminate air bubbles.
Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours before serving. I like to wait overnight.
Serve with whipped cream or plain 🙂
Source: Read Full Article