Quick and easy stir-fried noodles with shiitake mushrooms, Chines chives, and charred cabbage. [Photographs: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt]
While stir-fried lo mein is often mostly noodles with some vegetables for flavor and color, this version comes out with veggies and noodles in almost equal proportions, which means that it’s packed with more flavor, in this case cabbage charred until sweet, along with meaty shiitake mushrooms and big stalks of chives.
Why this Recipe Works:
- Cooking vegetables in batches allows for optimal flavor and texture development.
- We blanch our noodles first to soften them and make sure they stay separate when stir-fried.
- Tons of veggies compared to the average noodles stir-fry means that this dish is packed with even more flavor.
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound fresh lo mein noodles
- 1/4 cup vegetable, canola, or peanut oil, divided
- 4 cups shredded white cabbage
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Chinese chives or scallions, cut into 2-inch segments
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (about 3 medium cloves)
- Ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook noodles, stirring regularly with tongs or long chopsticks, until al dente and separated, about 1 minute. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add cabbage and cook, stirring regularly, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok and return to heat until smoking. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, until lightly browned and tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add chives and cook, stirring, until lightly wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer to bowl with cabbage.
Wipe out wok. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and heat over high heat until smoking. Add noodles and cook, tossing and stirring, until hot. Add cabbage, mushrooms, chives, and minced garlic. Cook, tossing, until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add sesame oil, light and dark soy sauce, and wine. Cook, tossing and stirring, until sauce coats noodles. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Serve immediately.
Source: Read Full Article