Ah, pumpkin spice. The true harbinger of autumn. (Cool weather and falling leaves mean nothing without a PSL in your hand.) If you find yourself without a bottle of commercially blended pumpkin pie spice this season, don’t panic! Here’s what to do:
What’s In Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Cooking dinner shouldn't be complicated
Pumpkin pie spice is a seasonal blend made of warming spices. Generally, the mix includes cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice.
Our recipe is incredibly easy to whip up in the comfort of your own kitchen. Just combine:
- 1 part cinnamon
- ½ part nutmeg
- ¼ part ginger
- ¼ part allspice
- ¼ part cloves
Shake ‘em all up in a jar and you’re ready to fall-ify just about anything.
Related: 6 Uses For Pumpkin Pie Spice (That Aren’t Pie)
Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute
If you don’t have a jar of store-bought pumpkin pie spice on hand (this one has great reviews), you really should just DIY your own with the above recipe. It’s the only way to ensure you get the results you expect from your recipe. (Tip: You can tinker with the recipe to accommodate your tastes and what you have on hand. No cloves? No problem. Just follow the recipe using the other four spices).
Buy it! The Spice House, $7.49
But, if you’re short on time and don’t mind deviating a bit, there are some other options:
- Apple pie spice is your best bet. In fact, the cardamom (which is often, but not always, included in apple pie spice) may give your recipe an earthy, woodsy taste that it would’ve otherwise lacked.
- A DIY blend of cloves and cinnamon will also work, though it’ll be a bit less complex than a traditional pumpkin pie spice blend. Use 1 part cinnamon to ¼ part cloves.
- Use just cinnamon in a pinch. This is definitely the dominant flavor in pumpkin pie spice—if you can only pick one, it should be cinnamon.
Related: What’s In Apple Pie Spice?
How to Use Pumpkin Pie Spice
The options are truly endless. Don’t believe us? Maybe you should try our Pumpkin Spice Hot Dog with a side of Pumpkin Spice Cornbread.
Of course, if you want to go the more traditional route, we’ve got you covered with plenty of autumnal recipes with pumpkin pie spice:
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Pie with Coffee Liqueur Whipped Cream
- Pecan, Apple, and Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Brown Sugar Icing and Candied Pecans
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Coffee Glaze
Get more recipes: 80 Pumpkin Desserts You’ll Fall For
Source: Read Full Article