Active Time: 15 MinsTotal Time40 Mins
Yield: Serves 8
This year, add a little kick to your Thanksgiving turkey with this spicy cornbread dressing. Flavored with jalapenos, chorizo, and cilantro, it will be a welcome change of pace from your usual recipe. Whether you make the cornbread from scratch or buy it premade, make sure it is savory, not sweet, for the best results.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 small onion)
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (from 1 small pepper)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (from 3 medium stalks)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (from 3 medium garlic cloves)
- 3scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 8 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread (from about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded jalapeño chile (from 1 large or 2 small chiles)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2large eggs, well beaten
- 4 cups chicken stock
How to Make It
Generously grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to skillet, and heat until a piece of onion sizzles when added. Add chorizo, and cook, tossing often and breaking up meat with a spoon, until fragrant and nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a bowl, and set aside. Reserve drippings in skillet.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to drippings in skillet. Once oil is hot, add chopped yellow onion, green bell pepper, and celery. Cook over medium-high, tossing often, until mixture is fragrant and softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chopped garlic and white parts of scallions, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat.
Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl, and add crumbled cornbread and cooked reserved chorizo. Stir mixture to combine well. Add chopped cilantro and jalapeño, salt, and black pepper, and stir to combine well. Add beaten eggs and chicken stock, and stir to combine well, making sure mixture is evenly moistened.
Transfer cornbread mixture to prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until dressing is cooked through and browned, 25 to 35 minutes. Serve hot or warm. Sprinkle dressing with reserved green parts of scallions before serving.
Source: Read Full Article