Total Time: 30 Mins
Yield: Serves 4 to 6 (serving size: 2 to 3 pancakes, 1/2 cup to 3/4 cups sauce)
Looking for an exciting way to use up some ramen noodles? Your hunt stops here. Everyone’s favorite instant noodles add a playful twist to this flavor-packed egg foo young recipe the whole family will love.
- 1(3 or 3.5-oz.) pkg. ramen noodles, spice packet discarded
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic (from 2 small garlic cloves)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 2 1/2 cups bagged slaw mix, lightly chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 6large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chile sauce, plus more for serving
How to Make It
Cook ramen noodles according to package directions, omitting the spice packet and cutting cook time to 2 minutes; reserve 1 cup of cooking water. Drain noodles, and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add flour, garlic, paprika, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add reserved noodle cooking water and 2 cups of the chicken stock, whisking constantly until mixture is well combined. Whisk together 1/4 cup of the cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock in a small bowl until smooth. Slowly add cornstarch mixture to boiling broth mixture, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sugar, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon of the sesame oil; remove from heat, and cover to keep warm.
Toss chopped shrimp with remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over high. Add shrimp, and cook, stirring often, until shrimp are cooked through and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, and let cool 5 minutes. Wipe skillet clean.
Coarsely chop cooked ramen noodles, and place in a medium bowl with cooled shrimp, slaw mix, scallions, eggs, Sriracha, and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; toss gently to combine ingredients.
Heat 3 tablespoons canola oil in skillet over high. In four batches of 3 pancakes each, add noodle mixture by 1/3 cupfuls to hot oil, cooking until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate lined with paper towels; repeat procedure with remaining oil and noodle mixture.
Gently reheat sauce, stirring until hot and smooth, and serve pancakes with sauce and extra Sriracha, if desired.
Source: Read Full Article