Active Time: 15 Mins
Total Time: 15 Mins
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
Stop searching, because we’ve got the best 15-minute summer side dish right here. The fresh aroma of basil, the nutty flavors from raw squash and pungent red onion all combine for a taste that perfectly reflects the season. The chickpeas offer a little more substance, making it hearty enough to leave you satisfied, which the light, lemony dressing and Parmesan make your taste buds happy. Bonus points if you can pick your own basil and squash from your garden.
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow crookneck and zucchini squash (2 of each medium-size squash)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion (from 1 onion)
- 1(15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup refrigerated basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves, plus a few small leaves for garnish
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved (about 1/2 cup)
How to Make It
Using a vegetable peeler, shave long ribbons of yellow squash and zucchini, avoiding using the center core of seeds from each squash, measuring 6 to 7 cups loosely packed squash ribbons. Place ribbons in a large bowl; add onion and drained chickpeas.
Whisk together pesto, lemon juice, and salt in a measuring cup.
When ready to serve, add half of the pesto dressing to squash, and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl; drizzle with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan; serve immediately.
Source: Read Full Article