Active Time: 35 MinsTotal Time3 Hours 30 MinsCool Time2 Hours 20 Mins
Yield: Serves 10
If you’re looking for a fresh alternative to your usual apple pie, this dessert delivers. Every component of this pie is extra special, from the buttery vanilla bean piecrust, to the juicy fruit filling, to the chunky ginger-almond streusel on top. Serve the slices warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy a sweet taste of fall.
Buttery Vanilla Bean Crust
- 1large egg
- 1-3 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1(10-oz.) pkg. fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, plus 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice (from 1 orange), divided
- 4large (about 8 oz. each) firm ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
How to Make It
Prepare the crust: Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon ice-cold water in a small bowl until well blended. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Using the back of a small knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean into food processor. Pulse until well blended, about 5 to 6 times. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, 5 to 6 times. With processor running, gradually add egg mixture. Process until dough just begins to come together (adding more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed). Shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill 2 hours or up to 2 days.
Prepare the streusel: Stir together brown sugar, butter, and salt in a bowl. Stir in flour, almonds, and ginger until evenly blended. Set aside.
Prepare the filling: Combine cranberries, sugar, and orange juice in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until cranberries have just popped, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat; pour mixture into a bowl. Cool 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fold zest, pears, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg into cranberry mixture.
Assemble pie: Unwrap dough disk, and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Fold edges under. Use a small spoon to create a pattern around edges. Freeze 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spoon filling into prepared pie plate. Crumble streusel in small and large pieces over filling. Bake on the lowest oven rack until top is golden brown and crust is golden (shielding edges, if needed, after 20 minutes), 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, 2 hours, before serving.
Source: Read Full Article