Oh, man, homemade meatloaf. I love this savory, flavorful, home-warming dish so much (The crispy bits! The ketchup glaze!) that sides are often an afterthought.
Typically, I’ll head straight for a pair of standbys: Mashed potatoes and steamed greens (broccoli or green beans). But those are far from the only — or the best — dishes to pair with this perennial protein. And meatloaf’s long baking time means there’s plenty of time to get creative.
So here’s a list of 30-plus recipes that perfectly complement a hearty meatloaf dinner. This list is as much for me as it is for you: I plan on making a lot of meatloaf this fall and winter, and I can’t wait to work my way through this roundup. Here’s to enjoying the classics — and to trying something new from time to time, as well.
Potatoes and Potato-Based Side Dishes
Potatoes are a workhorse of the kitchen and their starchy goodness pairs perfectly with meatloaf’s savory deliciousness. No wonder mashed potatoes are such a classic. But you don’t have to stop there: Scalloped, twice-baked, and even French-fried potatoes will be a delight.
- The Best Twice-Baked Potato
- Stovetop Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Easy, Delicious Steak Fries
- Crispy Salt & Vinegar Potatoes
- Nearly Perfect Classic Mashed Potatoes
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Fresh Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Lyonnaise Potatoes
- Smashed Potato Casserole
Greens and Green Vegetable Side Dishes
There’s something really nice about having a cooked green on the plate. Not only does it add color, but a crisp, lightly-steamed or roasted veggie can give snap and crunch to contrast the softer textures of meatloaf.
- Hashed Sprouts with Hazelnuts and Fried Capers
- Stovetop Brussels Sprouts Hash with Crispy Sage and Walnuts
- Creamed Spinach
- Stovetop Steam-Fried Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Broccolini with Butter Beans
- Roasted Green Beans with Harissa
- Green Beans
Carrots and Other Vegetable Side Dishes
Hello to all the other hearty vegetables that pair perfectly with meatloaf: Glazed carrots, herby peas, and cheesy corn all deserve more time on our plates.
- Bourbon-Glazed Carrots
- 15-Minute Buttered Balsamic Mushrooms
- Diane Morgan’s Baby Carrots with Dill
- The Easiest Basic Glazed Carrot Recipe
- Perfectly Roasted Baby Carrots
- Cheesy Corn Bake
- Snap Peas with Meyer Lemon and Mint
Quick Bread, Biscuits, and Garlic Bread Sides
While the oven is hot, why not throw a quick bread, some biscuits, or even garlic bread in, to bake alongside the meatloaf? You’ll be one step ahead for tomorrow’s meatloaf sandwiches, too.
- Easy Skillet Cornbread
- 10 Different Variations on Buttermilk Quick Bread
- Easy Ranch Quick Bread
- No-Knead Garlic Tear & Share Bread
- Straightforward Garlic Bread
- Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
- Sweet Potato Biscuits & Maple Butter
- 2-Ingredient Yogurt Drop Biscuits
- Herbed Yogurt Biscuits
- Easy Southern Biscuits
Source: Read Full Article