Photo by Jon Edwards
Gloss the tops of these egg- and dairy-free almond cookies with an earthy-sweet green tea frosting.
- Makes 3 dozen
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 2 tablespoons water, lukewarm
- 3/4 cup almond paste
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons Silk vanilla creamer
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the egg replacer and water and set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the almond paste, agave nectar, and Earth Balance until creamy. Add the extracts and the egg replacer mixture and continue beating. Stir in the flour and salt to create a soft dough.
- Using a teaspoon, create small balls of cookie dough and drop them on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving plenty of room between cookies. Push your thumb down into each cookie to create an imprint. Bake for 15 minutes, until the edges begin to harden. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow them to cool.
- For the frosting, mix the matcha powder with the creamer in a small bowl to create a paste. In a medium bowl, beat the Earth Balance briefly and scrape the bowl. Add the powdered sugar and matcha paste, and beat again until smooth. Once the cookies have cooled, use a teaspoon to scoop some matcha frosting into each thumbprint.
Source: Read Full Article